Translate

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Slaw Recipe


My dad was always looking for the perfect slaw recipe. He tried to get me interested in slaw when I was a teenager. He always wanted me to help him make the slaw. I just plain was not interested.

I do remember the zeal he had for making perfect slaw. On one such occasion he came in with a homegrown head of cabbage and started grating it. He was very concerned about the consistency and wanted to make sure he did not grate it too fine. He used his hands a lot when he was talking about making slaw tell ME just a pinch of this and a little of that. Using his finger to show how much of what to use.

Thinking back to that time is so sweet I can still see his smile and the twinkle in his eyes one blue and one green eye. I wasn't much interested in slaw but I sure liked to see my dad in a good mood. Dad has been dead along time but he would be proud to know that his girl lives with a man who makes the best slaw on the planet.

It is a simple recipe as follows:

1/2 a small head of cabbage

2 tbs mayo

1tsp extra virgin olive oil

juice of 1/2 lemon

1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped dill

1 tsp prepared mustard

2tbs chopped fresh parsley

Stir chill and enjoy

No comments: